Apostle Paul on Worship Styles

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted you to know that the Apostle Paul has some great insights on all the bickering that goes back and forth about worship styles.

OK, well not really … but blogger and TheWorshipCommunity.Com member, Brad Loser (and that’s Loser with a long o, as in loh-ser!)  has written what he believes it would sound like in an ongoing, heated thread called “Musical Styles to One Style” over at TheWorshipCommunity.Com.  Check out that thread over at TWC.

“Beloved – why are you so concerned with meaningless quarrels over musical styles. Is God not infinite? What musical style is there that can, by itself, capture the profound and complete mystery of the Divine? Brothers, do not be mislead into the deceptive thinking that some would have you believe about musical styles. For they say, “This style is better and reaches more people”, and, “I prefer this style because it’s what I’m used to.” No, you gather in the name of the Lord at the foot of the cross celebrating the gospel in which we ALL find forgiveness and redemption. Set aside your petty differences and let the world see the power of the gospel as it unifies and cleanses His bride.”

Thanks, Brad.  We needed to hear that!

16 comments on Apostle Paul on Worship Styles

I think Brad forgot the part where Paul says, “I beat my worship team into submission, lest, when I lead others, I myself should be disqualified.”

Great post!!

Russs last blog post..New Music…Tuesday?

Russ,

Hahaha – yeah, right. He also forgot to say that when people get so self-absorbed into their preferred “Style” all the time, that he wishes they would “mutilate themselves”, haha.

3. klampert says:

Ok I read all the posts on the forum and there was some great discussion on there. Lets see…where to start.

I have never been a fan of being what I call Burger King Christians. It’s the have it your way mentality. I don’t think everything we do needs to please the masses. So lets talk about worship then. Worship is sacrificing ourselves for God. That is our act of worship. So that means that worship is for God. So why do we even bicker about styles. Well simple. We want to enjoy ourselves and walk away with that tingly feeling.
    Is that wrong? I don’t think so. I think God gave us our gifts to glorify Him and to also uplift us. So yes style does come into play there. The problem comes in when people fight over style or leave churches over style. I think God wants us to create an atmosphere of worship with the body not divided worship because we have to have a country service, a modern service, and a calipso service.
    Just like the worship wars…Hymns or Tomlin. It is usually divided among old or young. My concern is that people aren’t held accountable for unity. People need to understand that compromise may be in order to preserve unity.
    There is more to it than that of course, but I have one more thing to add.

I do not think the worship of the church should be centered around the music. It needs to be centered around the table.
    See we cant always agree on music style, but we can agree that Jesus shed his blood for us. If the celebration of communion is the focal point of a weekly church service everything else is peripheral.

4. Wonderful & brilliant! Great point, Brad! Is this over on his blog? I haven’t been keeping up with the blogging world very well the past few weeks.

Shannon Lewiss last blog post..Hillsong London – “Hail to the King”

5. Dan McGowan says:

For the past 30 years I have been involved in church music. 3 years ago I began a slow transition OUT of church music – into Christian and clean stand-up comedy. Why? Frankly, I’m tired of fighting about something as insane as music styles. So many of us who have served, or continued to serve, in church music have said the same thing in countless ways… and, yet, the majority of both worshipers, worship leaders and music producers and publishers still don’t get it…

WORSHIP IS NOT ABOUT MUSIC!

A fantastic choral cantata built on a beautifully harmonized hymn melody IS NOT WORSHIP.

A hot band utilizing the best talent the city has to offer, led by one of Worship Leader magazines “Best” worship leaders IS NOT WORSHIP.

Both of these CAN BE “WORSHIPFUL” – but that is not up to the leaders – that is up to us, as individual followers of Christ.

If you “can’t worship UNLESS___________ ” (you fill in the blank) then I propose you cannot worship PERIOD. If you NEED a rock band to worship – then you don’t know HOW to worship God. If you NEED a hymn to worship, the you don’t know HOW to worship.

If the modern church is to survive – and I have my doubts that it will in it’s current condition – then we MUST re-define what worship is. Until we do that, the unfortunate, unbiblical, God-displeasing “worship wars” will continue…

Brad did a great job with this. Paul might add: “None of you practice more than I, and none of you play more instruments than I, yet I consider that all folly for Christ’s sake. I am but a clanging gong, or a broken G string, but for the grace that makes all the instruments in tune.”

I’ve seen people truly broken in worship to the most diverse music you can imagine. Worship comes from the heart and mind and spirit, not from the speakers.

Mikes last blog post..Freedom of Preach

7. John Darnell says:

As a worship leader for a very diverse multi-cultural congregation, I think Paul had great things to say about worship. My favorite is Colossians 3:16. He says to admonish one another in psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with grace in our hearts.

The differentiation between the types of songs is a direct result of culture. The psalms were songs of the Hebrews. The hymns were the songs of the Greeks. He wanted to make sure that one culture did not dominate within worship and expression. The key is that everyone is to sing with grace in their hearts. That grace is an acceptance of things that are not like you, just like we were not like God.

John Darnells last blog post..A Day in the Life

8. So, I started to comment over at TWC, but I thought I’d just ask the question here.

Is division really about different groups of people, or is about loss of focus on the one true God? As I read the original postat TWC, I saw that there was disunity as a concern, but it was clear that what was leading that disunity was not the different groups, but the different focus. I think we are quick to point out the wrong in styles and like and dislikes, when none of it matters if God is the center. Clearly, I am in unity with my brothers in Africa or Europe when we worship the same God. Even though I will never worship the same way (stylistically) or in the same place.

Paul kept leading us back to one thing. Stay focused on God. He then went on to teach us how to look good and relate to those around us. But he was quick to admonish when the church did not keep God as the head and focus.

I think our focus here needs to be on that. We are doing that poorly. Then hold whatever service or however many services you want.

brent(inWorship)s last blog post..I Can’t Stop…They’ll Forget I exist.

9. Steve Lowe says:

I think Brad’s spot on. When I saw the title of the post, I thought “He’d say ‘Sure, do music that the people like. As long as it’s not immoral and people are coming to know Christ, you’re good!”

Steve Lowes last blog post..Worship Setlist and Recap, October 19, 2008

10. Deane says:

If people came to church after living Romans 12:1-2 for the previous 6 days and preparing to live it for the next 6 days, would the style of music even be a concern?

Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

11. klampert says:

Glad to see this is still alive…I think this discussion really deserves even more thought…

I love to change style up, but honestly…I think its a matter of the heart..doing things for God…when it comes down to it .its that simple

klamperts last blog post..Time sensitive wireless info

12. Ann nyaga says:

write something on what apostle says about the place of worship.

13. Ann nyaga says:

please write what apostle paul says about place of worship, is it a must in the church?, or…..

1. fmckinnon says:

define what you mean by “worship” …

14. tim houlihan says:

This is the very reason why there should be only acapella(sp) singing in the church since that is what the apostle teaches