Sunday Setlists #39 – Mistakes, Dulcimer, and Cello

sundaysetlists-1

WELCOME to the 39 consecutive week of “Sunday Setlists” – where we share our worship recaps with the world.  For details on how to participate, please visit the “Sunday Setlists” page here on FredMcKinnon.Com.

1.  Blog about your worship services this week.  If you don’t have a blog, just leave a comment below and share your recap!
2. In your blog, link back to this post and mention that you are participating in “Sunday Setlists”.  You’ll want to link to:
3.  After sharing your recap and linking back here, fill out the “Mister Linky” box below, sharing a link back to your post.
4.  Leave a comment and visit the other links!
5.  Spread the word.  If you use Twitter, use the #sundaysetlists hashtag.

While you’re at it, be sure and checkout TheWorshipCommunity.Com, jam-packed with reviews, articles, and one of the best, active forums on worship leadership, worship teams, and church tech anywhere around!

Worship Confessional – Sunday April 19 2009

WOW – what a long day.  Thanks to those who were patient enough to wait for this to post … I had important things to do right after church, like – take a 2+ hour nap.  Then, took the kids to the swimming pool at the gym – I needed to do some butt-kicking in Daddy-Kids pool dunking and wrestling.  I’m not sure I won.  Anyway, we’ve got most of the kids down and I’m finally getting my 4th attempt at a worship confessional video uploaded.

(photos by Chris Moncus – click photos for full size)

fred-playingThere was a plethora of ISSUES today in our 9:00 service. Forgotten lyrics, video miscues, battery failures, and more.  When it’s all said and done, God was God, He was big, He was awesome, and we worshiped!  Watch the embedded video below for all the gory details – today’s video confessional is way long, but has some clips from our worship service – so take a break for 10 minutes and tune in!

Today was exciting because I was able to introduce some new instrumentation – one of my favorite instruments on the planet … the hammered dulcimer.  You can hear it on the video but it was a blast playing this awesome instrument.

It was also a huge privilege to have Lydia Nichols joining us with her cello.  Lydia is a high school student who is an amazing cellist and classical pianist as well.

lyldia-playingHere’s the Setlist:

Walk In:  You Never Let Go (Redman) – Key of A

Opening Song:  Hosanna (Baloche) – Key of G

Second Set:
Revelation Song (Kari Jobe/Gateway) – Key of C
Holy, Holy, Holy (Trad. Hymn) – Key of C – D

Special Music:
“Rescue Me” (Wynonna Judd, from “Songs of Deliverance” Compilation CD)

Lydia did an incredible job and I really enjoyed my “debut” on the hammered dulcimer.  We had some great help from our tech guys in micing these instruments with the correct mics.  Maybe Travis can blog about it later this week, as the original worship confessional video we shot this morning is sans audio.

Jay Sellers was the hero today – he “rescued me” from my dead battery situation.  Below are more pics from the service – thanks to Chris for the photos and videos.

jayplayingcellomic

fred-playing-side

VIDEO WORSHIP CONFESSIONAL – INCLUDES CLIP OF “RESCUE ME” and OUR “COLDPLAY” FINALE!
(finally – after 4 takes, 3 upload attempts, and multiple issues – this confessional and clip is live)

Worship Confessional – Sunday Setlists from Fred McKinnon on Vimeo.

Now it’s your turn – enter the link to YOUR Sunday Setlists recap below – be sure to enter the URL to your actual post, and NOT your blog’s homepage URL:

89 comments on Sunday Setlists #39 – Mistakes, Dulcimer, and Cello

1. “It’s good to acknowledge when things are messed up” AMEN BROTHER!!!

And a congregation that is focused on worship rather than performance, will show God’s grace as we get our act together!

Great confessional, Fred. Once again, your transparency is appreciated! We can ALL learn from each other’s experiences.

1. Thanks, Randy –
      Hey, let’s all learn from one another’s mistakes, right – and at least, we can be encouraged to know we’re not alone!

FM

2. Chris Moncus says:

Yeah man. Things still went well today. I know you were super sensitive to the mistakes but they didn’t ruin the service.

1. THanks, Chris, a million thanks for the pics and video, btw!

3. marina says:

Looks and sounds like you guys have a great time creating worshipful moments together! Thanks for the hammered dulcimer clip – now I’m inspired to learn how to play a new instrument – perhaps cowbell?

1. Marina,
      we can never get too much cowbell in the monitor!

4. Jan Owen says:

We changed things up a bit today. The first set of worship was awkward for me – it was just too short. We’re trying some new things so we’ll see! I just felt out of step all day because I was so worried somebody would do something at the wrong time.

A funny thing happened that I didn’t put in my blogpost. I have been warning our mgmt team and former pastor, interim pastor and whomever else would listen that we were shortly going to face a projector crisis. Ours were fading fast and had continual problems. Our new pastor asked about them and I said – we have one REAL solution. Replace them – they are OLD!

This morning the left one started smoking, and is now TOAST. So – #1 priority for the week – new projectors. Any advice?

1. Chris Moncus says:

Christie brand projectors are fantastic. We have 6 at SSCC. Not a single problem in the year we’ve had them installed.

2. Jan,
      Chris is right about the Christies … I’ve used EIKI in the past, and they were good, too. I’d recommend posting in the Technologies for Worship section of the forums over at http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/forums and get more input from the pros there!

Love the dulcimer… great stuff. We had a really good service this morning.

Loving the dulcimer! Cool stuff.

7. Travis says:

Added my first “tech confessional” to the mix. It was fitting to do after our services this AM.

1. Travis,
      Awesome – I’m headed over to check it out.

10. Pingback: Randy Neufeld

Another great day at HOJ and around the world!

12. paul says:

Nice work on the dulcimer. I’ve always wondered where the “worship confessional” idea came from. Thanks for a great post – a nice way to start my day!

13. Steff says:

Thanks for posting your confessional Fred. I guess everybody has days like this once in a while.

14. Jay Sellers says:

Changing batteries is my super power.

Good set. Lotsa fun.

Blessings.

1. Yes, indeed – and that’s Jay Sellers, ladies and gentlemen, with an e.

Hammered dulcimer and cello — great!

Super cool photos, too.

1. Bobby – I think the picture ideas comes from your confessional every week!

16. klampert says:

In that southern accent…I totally sounds like in the last second of the video you say

“I gotta tinkle” ha ha ha

1. That’s “I gotta tune it”. In Southern Draw.

17. Janaki says:

I don’t have time to watch the video just yet but wanted to say the photos are beautiful, really. I love cello.

1. Janaki,
      What? There is NOTHING more important than watching that 10+ minute video! (grin) – have a great day!

18. Really enjoyed the worship confessional. It is amazing what those Flip HDs can do.

PS – The mic is always on on those puppies. Even though it isn’t good mic.

1. Kendall,
      Yeah – the mic was on, he was just far away. As for the Worship Confessional, I was using my lappie, and the Sound Input was set to “line in” instead of “internal microphone”, so that’s why I kept taking WC’s w/o audio. Duh.

19. Ellen says:

Love the use of the cello and the dulcimer!

Wonder why you were so heavily attacked all day? You poor thing…I kept coming back to post the Sunday Setlist…I figured something was up. It must mean that God moved in amazing ways in your congregation and the enemy was not having any of that! Too bad – God won as always!!!

21. Jan Owen says:

Fred,I posted a link on my blog to the recording of that song I wrote and used on Sunday, “Invitation”……hope you enjoy.

22. RV Cate says:

Fred – I got to the church really late. Just wanted you to know that the dulcimer gave me chill bumps and I have ALWAYS loved that instrument. I had an uncle,
    (The Georgia Bulldog) in Calhoun and dreamed of opening a folk music store stocking all of the mountain instruments, they all make a “Joyful Noise”… RV

23. Jeff Miller says:

Awesome. Timed it just right to get “42” again. I’m going to make that one of my goals in life. Get “42” as often as possible on Sunday Setlists at FredMcKinnon.com

24. Fred – Sound’s like you had a great service – I love the variety in your instrumentation yesterday.

I think we’ve all had those moments where nothing seems to work. Yet I’ve always found that God uses those moments to glorify Himself and reveal more of His power to me.

Thanks for hosting Sunday Setists!
    -BP

1. Bryan, thanks a ton man … I appreciate you participating!

25. Shawn Yoder says:

I’m a first timer poster but have been following your site for a couple weeks now. Its been a great help to see what songs other churches are doing as well as other aspects they’re including in their worship sets. This is a great thing you’ve got going here, such a wide range of church types.
    Also, we’ve started using a hammer dulcimer occasionally at our church as well and I’ve really liked it. Adds a nice touch

1. Shawn,
      It’s an honor to have you … thanks so much for following. I hope you’ll subscribe to the blog via email or RSS and hang out during the week – lots more discussions going on then. Also, checkout http://www.theworshipcommunity.com for great discussions.

Thanks Fred for your confessional man. Sorry you had those hiccups but your humility in your response is great. I always try and cover up mistakes and I probably need to be more real at times and stop trying to fake it on the major biffs.

Just wanted to encourage you bro, you’re an amazing leader, incredible servant and I’m thankful for everything you do for the church worship community(big and small). God bless ya.

1. Kyle,
      Thanks man, that means a lot. And I introduced my second “original” Ableton loop too!

27. Pingback: CICW
  28. Tami Hoban says:

good stuff, fred! i’m totally stealing your idea to vimeo worship confessionals. i’ve been batting around the idea of doing post-service debriefing sessions with the band, but i have decided against it, at least for now, for a variety of reasons. this is a fun, light-hearted way to communicate with the band, the church and the worshipping community at large. smart.

love the dulcimer – great job on that! so mullins-esque. 🙂

i’m sure that was one of those mornings you thought “wish i had a talkback mic to the sound booth about now”. i know that’s gone through my head many times!

peace.

tami

29. Jen Kerr says:

Hammered Dulcimer.. amazing!!

30. Eddy Mann says:

You brought a little sunshine into my rainy day… loved the dulcimer and cello

You asked about Beautiful Savior into Today Is The Day. Coming out of Beautiful Savior I sang the first verse of Today Is The Day quietly and with a floating rhythm and then used the chorus to introduce tempo before the band blew in on “I won’t worry…” it created a great rush of energy.

1. Eddy,
      OH yeah, I’m def. seeing how that could be awesome! Thanks.

31. Been a few weeks since I’ve posted but I’m back.

32. Artie says:

Daughter had a dance competition in Houston right after church so I didn’t get to post until today (Monday)..running a little behind. It was youth Sunday and it was a great day. My daughter gave the message..I was so proud of her!!

33. Pingback: Josh Lange
  34. Paul J. says:

Better late than never.

35. Paul J. says:

BTW Fred, that “Share This On Twitter” link you have up there made a pretty nonsensical Tweet for me…

36. OK…I am late, but I just moved and whatever! Thanks Fred.

37. Fred

Thanks for the welcome out at my site. I’m still getting up to speed on the Sunday Setlist posting and blogging. Your video today helped me understand the confessional concept better. I’ve checked out some of your other blog entries. I really appreciated the discussion about singing or lack thereof in the congregation because it has always disturbed me when Christians don’t sing.

Doug

38. Abbas Shah says:

This was the setlist for the show I went to in Cleveland. But it was
    Envy on the Coast, Anberlin and TBS. The ones with * are the ones a
    suggest they are great songs. They aren’t in the order they were played.boat transporters.

39. Abbas says:

This was the setlist for the show I went to in Cleveland. But it was
    Envy on the Coast, Anberlin and TBS.
    betsson casino

40. fifa says:

like that music

[URL=http://ow.ly/7t6M5]dominosvouchers[/URL

41. Handsomemurtuza says:

the show is look like Coke Studio it is a Pakistani Show

from: http://myfriendsforum.com

42. Monirbdinfo says:

this is a great site what i’m seeking for…

43. sbobet says:

I think your suggestion would be helpful for me.
    I will let you know if its work for me too.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful articles

44. Seopromotionwork says:

I read this blog, i am very glad for this blog.

45. Yendi says:

very like music, nice post dude

46. Jual Jaket Kulit says:

Another great day at HOJ and around the world!

47. Ibnu says:

Great share buddy, visit this article too New Himax Polymer Li Batch 2

48. Aliy An says:

We are providing Exams pass service to all of Odesk, Freelancer, Elance user mostly from 90% to 100% result.
    If you want to pass your any skill exams then must contact us. We are also providing you some free exams passing service.
    Must visit once our site.