Sunday Setlists #44 – Worship Recaps #sundaysetlists

sunday_setlist_2

Welcome to the 44th consecutive week of “Sunday Setlists” – a blog carnival where we share our worship service recaps.

For all the details about “Sunday Setlists” – click here.
To receive an email reminder each week to post your “Sunday Setlists” review – click here.

1. Blog  about your worship service(s) that happened this week.  You don’t have to be the pastor or leader, we welcome and encourage worship service recaps from those who were in the congregation.
  2. In your blog, please mention that you are participating in the “Sunday Setlists” blog carnival, and link to today’s blog, which is:
  3. Fill out the Mister Linky below with the full URL to your blog’s “Sunday Setlists” post.
  4. Leave a comment below and spread the word.  (Twitter folks, use hashtag #sundaysetlists)
  5. Visit the other links and see what others are doing in their churches!

Worship Recap for SSCC – Sunday May 24, 2009

celebration-form_banner

Our worship service was unique today in that it was the first of a 2-week series called “Celebrate Life” which features a celebration of what God has done at our church over the last year, and the volunteers that made it happen.

The purpose is 3-fold:
1 – to celebrate what God has done
2 – to celebrate and honor the several hundred volunteers at SSCC each week
3 – to recruit new volunteers

Instead of having our typical time of musical worship followed by a sermon, the entire service had music, worship, and drama mixed throughout featuring our “Clubhouse Kids” from the “Fam Jam” environment.  An immense amount of work and preparation went into this – I don’t even have time or energy to share the set, the pictures, and videos, etc.  Just suffice it to say it was incredible.  Huge pictures of volunteers were hung all over the stage and all across the building, and were on signs outdoors across the property.  In addition to the drama (which was about thanking our volunteers) we had some incredible video testimonies from folks whose lives have been changed as a result of the ministry at SSCC.  The service ended with a volunteer appeal where we had a tri-fold printed document with all of the “reach out” volunteer opportunities and we encouraged all attenders to check three areas of interest where they’d like to serve.  All existing volunteers checked the boxes, too – so it was a “we” thing … I glanced over the congregation and it seemed like the overwhelming majority of folks there had the brochure in hand, pen open, and were filling it out.  Wow, what we could do with 1500 new volunteeers!

Music:

The moment I heard the name of the series I knew I wanted horns.  I recruited a sax player and a couple of trumpets (from a highschool in the next county, over an hour’s drive!) and we opened and closed with “Celebration” by Kool & the Gang.  It was sweet!

Walk In:  “Celebration” (Kool & The Gang)

Opening Set:
Happy Day (Tim Hughes)
Everlasting God (Todd Fields, Northpoint Live Arr.)

Second Set:
Glorious One (Steve Fee)

Closer:
How Great is Our God (Tomlin and crew)

For the details, see this production sheet from PlanningCenterOnline.

—————————–

OK, that’s a wrap for us.  Now time to share links back to your worship service recap.  If you don’t have a blog, just share your worship service recaps below in the comments.  (remember, if you fill out the Mister Linky, be sure your link is the URL to your actual page, and not your blog’s homepage.  Homepage links (ie. myblog.wordpress.com or myblog.blogpost.com, or myblog.com) will be deleted.  To get your actual URL, publish your entry, then come back to your blog and click the blog’s title – copy and paste THAT URL)

54 comments on Sunday Setlists #44 – Worship Recaps #sundaysetlists

1. That sounds like a really cool day!

2. John van Leeuwen says:

What an awesome idea! Great to see that the purpose of the service actually hit the target..

Amazing that there were so much extra volunteers ‘recruited’! The possibilities are endless with 1500 volunteers! 🙂

1. Hey John, well I’m not saying we recruited that many, I have no idea how many filled out the form, then there is followup, then … well, commitment. And of course, many of them are already volunteering. I’m just saying that between services, there were nearly 1500 adults, and I know a lot of them were filling out cards!

1. John van Leeuwen says:

Ah.. sorry misread that part… But then again if only 10% would fill in the forms.. Wow! 😉

3. Good morning everyone! Setlist posted! Enjoy the holiday!

4. Oh come on Fred, share pictures later this week maybe.
    Some may have notcied I’ve been rather quiet recently (thanks Steff). This has been an amazing month in recentering my time with God.

5. Kit Palmer says:

Sounds like you had a great service Fred! It is always awesome to see members of the congregation start “being” the church instead of just going to church!

6. MandoRon says:

Looks like a fun day!

For some reason I don’t see the Mr. Linky form, but anyway, thanks for posting. 1500 new volunteers, on fire for Christ, could transform a city. That’s an exciting thought!

1. Bobby, yeah, the Mister Linky host server is causing nightmare the last couple of weeks. I’d quit using the widget if I could find another solution, you pay for it, but their server is constantly down, and it hangs up my entire website. ARGGH.

Wow, Fred – that’s a great set! Really digging “Glorious One” right now.

We did an acoustic service yesterday, went very well. Looking forward to reading everybody’s sets!

9. Ellen says:

Great ideas to celebrate our volunteers!

10. Steffanie says:

Great idea on honoring volunteers and recruiting new ones

11. Hope you all enjoy your holiday! I love being able to see what other worship leaders are doing on Sunday mornings. Good stuff.

New Feature on the blog this week. Off to look at what everyone else did.

13. Hey hey,
    I am new here. Really loving the community and getting to see what everyone is doing each week…

14. Jon Morris says:

I’m in.

Got a video posted on this weeks set list. http://thejonmorris.com/2009/05/5_24_09_setlist/

Got a 1970’s Rollei35 camera. My first role of film posted here: http://thejonmorris.com/2009/05/round-1-rollei-pics/ Not the greatest pics, still learning to use it.

What a great way to celebrate volunteers! I may show my pastor your concept…way to go!!

Lori

17. Very cool… short set though ? Is that usual?

18. Sometimes I see the Mr. Linky form, sometimes I don’t. It took three entries attempts, toggling between Internet Explorer and Firefox before the entry stuck. Because this is worth doing I persevere!!! It’s a good thing we don’t have technical issues like this on Sunday and can focus on the Lord. Everyone have a great week.

19. Pingback: Carlos Whittaker
  20. Fred – sounds like a great series and set list…wow, horns! I gotta plug in Happy Day in our catalog.

21. Janaki says:

Hey, I’m back! Sounds like your sunday was incredible!

22. Pingback: Louis Tagliaboschi
  23. That sounds like an amazing day. I work for a pregnancy crisis charity, and we are so needing more volunteers !

Late to the dance… sorry

Can’t wait to catch up with you in KC

26. Love this idea, Fred. I may pitch it to our team!

27. Lee Houghton says:

Another fab Sunday 🙂

28. Jon McKanna says:

love the setlist fred…especially the “walk in” song!!!

1500 new volunteers…WOW, that could be HUGE!!!

29. A cool weekend for Memorial Day. Hope you’re doing well, Fred!

30. Sounds like a great day. Our was too, in spite of some electrical grid challenges.

31. Cool weekend, and thanks for sharing the planning center link. It’s great to see how other people utilize PCO.

32. LeAnn Thomas says:

Finally, setlist posted! Kinda short set, but we WORKED Rev Song! 🙂

33. Jeff Miller says:

Sounds like you had a great day Fred. Here’s my very belated entry.

Sounds like a great day! Wish I could’ve seen it. and/or played some trumpet!!

We’re over 50 this week! Go Sunday Setlists!