Sunday Setlists #49 – Worship Recaps

sunday_setlist_2

Welcome to the 49th consecutive week of “Sunday Setlists” – the blog carnival where we share our worship service recaps with one another.

For more details on the “Sunday Setlists” program, click here.
To receive a reminder email each week to post your setlist, click here.

Here’s a recap on how to participate:

1.  Blog about your worship services this week.  (Don’t have a blog, just leave it in the comments below)
2.  In your blog or worship service recap, please mention that you are participating in the “Sunday Setlists” blog carnival at FredMcKinnon.Com and link to today’s post, which is:
3.  Leave your URL in the “Mister Linky” box below, making sure the URL goes directly to your “Sunday Setlists” blog post (not your blog’s homepage)
4.  Leave a comment and visit the other links to see what is happening in worship services worldwide.
5.  Spread the word on FaceBook, Email, Your Blog, and Twitter.  (in Twitter, use #sundaysetlists hashtag)

My Worship Confessional for SSCC

Today was one of those days you love – our 9:00 service started and people were ready to go for it.  There was an eagerness to worship that was contagious and before we’d even made it to the Chorus of our “walk-in” song, nearly everone in the room was standing, clapping, and singing along.  This is our “walk-in” where usually don’t get as engaged.  In our second half, on “Revelation Song” I had them seated during a long Scripture reading and as soon as we got a few lines into the Verse of the song, they all stood on their own – without anyone saying “please stand”.  The 11:00 was different – they had the other personality this AM where you had to ask them to stand, etc.  Part of me wanted to just leave it alone … “they’ll stand if they want to” kind of attitude … plus, I don’t like forcing people … but I also realized that sometimes people just need to be led.  There were probably plenty of people who were thinking “I’d really like to stand”.

It just goes to show how two identical worship services can have a totally different personality.  Maybe it was tied into prayer or intercession that was happening.  Either way, people worshiped and God’s Word was declared.

Once again, I brought in several of our youth – including our drummer, one of the vocalists, and the electric guitarist.

Walk-in:  “Marvelous Light”
Opening Song:  “Your Grace is Enough”

To begin the 2nd set, we found a very cool video background loop that resembled a worship scene in heaven and one of our singers read Revelation 4: 2-8.  This is the Scripture that’s the basis for the popular “Revelation Song”.

Worship Set:
“Revelation Song”
“Jesus Paid it All”

I had a number of people comment on how special the song was after reading and seeing the Scripture.  I think this is a great way to include Scripture reading in your worship flow.

Special Music:
“You Gave Your Life Away” (Paul Baloche)

Sermon:  Unwrapped
We are beginning a long, Summer series on unwrapping the gift of salvation, and all it includes.  Week 1 was a great kickoff and I witness a number of people in both services indicate they were praying to receive Christ as their Savior.

Closer:
You are my King (Amazing Love)

That’s a wrap for us.  Time for you to share your worship setlists!  Remember, make sure your URL is the full URL to your blog post, and not your blog’s homepage.  Pretty please.

53 comments on Sunday Setlists #49 – Worship Recaps

1. HL McConnell says:

Big fan of “you gave your life away”

1. HL,
      Yeah – we’ve never done it before, so it was brand new – I”m not sure anyone on my team had ever heard it – but it fit perfect for the sermon series. I think it was well-received.

2. Great set of songs.
    I love You Gave Your Life Away.
    Jesus Paid it all goes well with that, too.

3. Jon Morris says:

i’m in.

i’ve got audio clips of our live service again. Grace Like Rain

We usually save Marvelous Light for the youth service, but a great set.

5. The difference between congregations is always interesting to observe. Love the set-up for Revelation Song!

7. Tami Hoban says:

Gotta agree with David. That sounds like a great way to set up that song for the congregation. We do that song fairly often, and I can see how that would really draw people into the truth in what they’re singing. Very cool, Fred.

8. posted! Thanks everyone!

9. It’s always great to see God at work in His church! Have a great week gang.

10. Dean Lusk says:

Posted! We did “Your Grace Is Enough” today, too…

“Part of me wanted to just leave it alone … ‘they’ll stand if they want to’ kind of attitude … plus, I don’t like forcing people … but I also realized that sometimes people just need to be led. There were probably plenty of people who were thinking ‘I’d really like to stand’.”

Good call. I don’t like those internal struggles because I never respond the same way twice. I hope that it’s because I’m sensitive to the Spirit’s leading, but sometimes I’m afraid it’s more like mentally throwing my hands in the air.

1. Dean,
      I agree – sometimes I hold off as long as possible, because it’s always more powerful to me when it’s initiated from within the congregation … in this case, I thought “we only have two songs before the special, and if they sit through this song, they’ll sit through half of the set.

I don’t believe it’s impossible to engage while being seated, but I definitely thing it’s easier to disengage.

11. I love it when everyone comes ready to worship! Revelation Song is one of my new favorites (along with Where You Go I Go)- amazing song. We did You Gave Your Life Away today as well – more like Kathryn Scott does it than Paul Baloche though. All girls singing today, so it just fit us better 😉

Thanks again for doing this each week!

1. Jennifer,
      Yeah – try it sometime. Use Rev 4:2-8 … we got an incredible motion background called “Celestial Beings”, I think … from worshipfilms.com … it was the perfect background. Our reader red it with passion and energy, with dramatic pause where necessary – definitely not a monotone … and it was cool to have someone different on stage reading it besides me, too!

12. Jan Owen says:

Well the worship service I was at this morning was not my norm. I hope you’ll read about how God spoke to me. It was refreshing!

I love using a scripture reading to set up songs and “Revelation Song” works really well for that.

As for the asking them to stand, etc. I often will just not instruct them and if alot of people start to stand I might invite people to stand at a high part of the song. It’s really an issue of trying to being sensitive to where the Spirit is moving an where people are with God in that moment. I do different things different days.

13. Another cool video this week.. my daughter led worship again, but I was away. Good to see how my team keeps things up when I am away!

14. really glad to be a part of this

I agree about the scripture reading, Fred. I think sometimes it can be especially helpful for people who have read their Bible over and over. When they’re confronted with the text in a new way — such as in a reading, followed or preceded by a song on the topic — it makes the text “new again” in their eyes.

16. Steff says:

Revelation Song would have fit my set-list perfectly yesterday. I tried to figure out a way to sneak it in… But yesterdays band didn’t know it. So I would have been pulling out a new one on them without a practice….. I decided not to do that to them. It is definitely a personal fave.

Good day at HOJ, we went unplugged, but still rocked out the Revelation Song, ha.

Great service this week, great to unite with Grace Church (Sovereign Grace Church in AZ) in worship.

19. Pingback: RT Stax
  20. Pingback: CICW
  21. Pingback: books99
  22. Ellen says:

Great thematic song set!

23. Wayne Thomas says:

I’m blessed to be back on the Setlist wagon! 🙂 Hope you guys encountered the Almighty on Sunday!

Wayne

24. Fred – love “You Gave Your life Away. Great set! Thanks wrangling us each week!

25. Pingback: Josh Lange