Sunday Setlists #13 – Worship Recap

Hey Everyone –

Welcome to “Sunday Setlists” – a blog carnival where we network and exchange our weekly recaps of our worship services.  Whether you’re a worship leader, pastor, or just someone who attended a worship service this week – blog about it and share a recap of your experience for others to see.

Here’s the simple rules:

1.  Blog about your worship service. It can be a written summary, a video worship confessional, or however you wish to recap.
2.  In the content of your recap, link back to THIS POST and mention that you’re recap is a part of the “Sunday Setlists” blog carnival hosted at FredMcKinnon.Com.
(link to this url:  http://www.fredmckinnon.com/myblog/2008/10/19/sunday-setlists-13)
3.  After posting your recap, come back here and fill out the “Mister Linky” box below.
VERY IMPORTANT:  Make sure your URL points to your “Sunday Setlist” recap post, and not your blog’s homepage.   Homepage links will be removed.
4.  Leave a comment here, and then visit the other sites who have participated and check out what they’ve done as well.

**** Sunday Setlist for St. Simons Community Church, Oct 19, 2008 ***

Today was a great day at SSCC.  I’d scheduled Harriet Jones to lead worship this week.  She was the former worship leader who was a part of establishing this church.  She’s been leading worship for years and always brings it.  Harriet’s forte is in doing some of the older songs and she has a great way of pulling off a more bluegrass/country style.  She never fails to bring incredible energy to the platform and today was no different.  Plus, since she was leading the entire worship set, I scheduled myself to play the grand piano.  And with her song selections, I had ample opportunity to bang on those keys.

Walk In:
The Rock (I Go To The Rock)
an OLD song … but with that country/blues feel, it’s a blast to play.  I was given a long piano “jam” solo in here to bang away and had a blast doing it.  We also had harmonica.  The people loved this shuffle!

Song 1:
Holy Is The Lord (Tomlin)

Song 2:
I’ll Fly Away (old school, revival style)
Everyone was clapping and having a good ole’ time with this one.  Ben Jones played acoustic “up the neck” and picked out a bluegrass solo, followed by a harmonica solo, followed by another piano solo.  When we ended this song, you would’ve thought someone had just hit a grand slam at the ballgame.

Special:
Lamb of God (Twila Paris)
Harriet and a couple of the ladies who have been part of the singing rotation at SSCC for years did this as special music.  They’ve been singing this song for probably at least 10 years, and they nailed it.

Jesus, Messiah (Tomlin)
This was really the only “current” song in the setlist.  I admit, I was hesitant about the set, and feared that it may overly “theme” the Sunday as old fashioned, and since we were starting a new series on dating, sex, and marriage, I could just imagine a bunch of younger, single people coming and hearing all those older songs.  This song was a great addition to bridge the generational gap – though it had it’s own “acoustic” flavor due to our arranging and instrumentation, it was still a great song to choose.

Closer:
When It’s All Been Said and Done
We just let the singers carry this all by themselves, with no drums, bass, or keys … only acoustic guitar, and it was fitting closer.

David spoke on Week 1 of the new 6-week series called “Ignite”.  He came out on stage to start the series and we were “all black”.  He lit a match and talked about how when we start dating and getting romantically involved, sparks can start to fly, but then everything can quickly (here he puts the match on flash paper and it poofs up in flames in his hand as he lets go) “catch fire and burn away”.

The sermon was incredible – my favorite and most humorous moment was when Pastor David actually “went there” and talked about the situation where our “brain” is relocated from our skull to  …. well, our pants, basically.  Yep, he went there.  It was hysterical.

A great Sunday … tons of compiments from young and old afterward.  I’m grateful that I’m in a church where we have musical diversity in our songs and leadership styles.  I’m looking forward to leading again next week, co-leading with Kim Dixon.

Your turn!

Sunday Setlists Participants

1. Dorothy (vicar of vibe)
2. Ed Schief
3. Gary Durbin
4. HL McConnell
5. Jim Drake
6. Mike Mahoney
7. David Lindner
8. Janaki
9. Chris Harrison
10. Ben Abu Saada (Overland Park, KS)
11. Russ Hutto
12. Karen Daniels
13. Billy Chia
14. Jay Sellers
15. Kyle Campos (Our Rising Sound)
16. Steffanie Oltmans
17. Bobby Gilles
18. Angela Ramsey
19. @englishguy
20. Steve Lowe
21. Dean Lusk
22. jon mark
23. Randy Neufeld (Westhill Baptist)
24. Michelle Weger (Collision)
25. Chris from Canada
42. Rob Petrini
43. matt macdonald
44. mark roach
45. Shawn Stinson
46. Johnny Sierra
47. Steff

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

55 comments on Sunday Setlists #13 – Worship Recap

1. Sounds like a great set. Singing “I’ll Fly Away” is always great fun.
    The message sounds very interesting. Love the “fire”. I look forward to the day when we will be able to use real fire in worship.

dorothy (vicar of vibe)s last blog post..Jesus’ Kingdom: An Exclusive Club

Today was our first Sunday with a praise choir and also lights. The atmosphere was right and the choir did great.

Power in the Name Of – Gateway Evangelistic College
    One Way – Hillsong
    Never Let Go – Matt Redman
    Grace Will Be My Song – Fee
    Altar: Grace Will Be My Song – Fee

We were really close to doing some prophetic worship today, but for whatever reason God stopped Darren from going there. In the past when that happened, church went on for hours!!

Brad Hafners last blog post..bradhafnersfa: watching Manchester United slaughter West Brom!! Go Reds!!

3. Ed Schief says:

There’s a reason those old songs are still with us–they were so well written. Doing them now, it’s kind of like we’re singing along with all the saints that came before us. We did two of them this week

And Fred, I’d be honored if you’d check out ‘Moses At The Counselor’s Office’.

Ed Schiefs last blog post..Moses At The Counselor’s Office

hey Fred. Sounds like an interesting day..

Gary Durbins last blog post..Worship Confessional 10.19.08

don’t you just hate it when you are sick leading worship. i’ve had a head cold since Friday–I opened my mouth to sing this morning.. “CROAK”… embarassing. but we went on dispite the frog from the leader.

Jim Drakes last blog post..A Liberal Supermajority!

Maybe it’s because I’m Irish, but I love Robin Mark. “When It’s All Been Said and Done” is a great and unusual choice!

Mikes last blog post..Sunday Setlist – October 19

7. Thanks for doing this Fred. We did an older set today, and I always have the same feelings when I do.

8. Chris says:

Yeah…thanks so much for hosting this. The setlists have been very helpful, not to mention the commentary in terms of style and delivery. Sorry about the sickness!

Chriss last blog post..Sunday Set List

Wohoo! I love Sunday Setlist!

Russs last blog post..New Music…Tuesday?

10. Billy Chia says:

Fred,
    I had someone else leading worship today too. I’m with you man – I love the diversity.

Billy Chias last blog post..If it’s too loud…

11. Jay Sellers says:

“I heart Phil Wickham” – Ben Harrell

Jay Sellerss last blog post..Elevate Set for October 14, 2008

Called in a sick day, voice was a mess with a lingering cold. So I just played guitar and manned Ableton for loop duty and my bass played led and knocked it out of the park. Set list with links to loopshere.

Fred, I’ll Fly Away sounds like it was a blast, wish I could hear that.

Kyles last blog post..Sunday morning vocal warmups without an iPod

“I’ll Fly Away” is always fun. And I love “I Go To The Rock.” Sounds like a good mix of songs.

It was a Baby Dedication Sunday for us, which is always a blessing.

14. Dean Lusk says:

Got ’em posted! Enjoying this — giving in to conformity was a good thing! 🙂

15. Steve Lowe says:

Amazing – I’ve noticed several Churches doing “I’ll Fly Away” this weekend. We did it in 4/4 with a southern gospel feel. That bass pounding 1-5 and tinkling piano made it really fun!

Steve Lowes last blog post..Worship Setlist and Recap, October 19, 2008

16. jon mark says:

i’m in…good stuff this week fred!!!

jon marks last blog post..sunday setlists…take nine…

17. Enjoyed a Sunday “off” as our Youth Team “Ignite!” led. We are blessed to have a talented group of young musicians and a congregation that this committed to Unified Worship.

Have a great week everyone.

18. Up and posted!

Jason Petermanns last blog post..Worship Confessional: October 19, 2008

19. WorshipCity says:

Dude I’m so pumped about this week! I’ll have 2!
    1 for our normal adult worship
    2 for our 1st Youth Service of the season!!

WorshipCitys last blog post..Sunday Setlist Oct. 19th – YOUTH WORSHIP

20. WorshipCity says:

Oh and btw our pastor and his wife know your church. Apparently, they were good friends of someone on the team who helped plant that church? I’ll find out more info on that tomorrow at staff and let you know!

WorshipCitys last blog post..Sunday Setlist Oct. 19th – YOUTH WORSHIP

21. Brandon Teer says:

Got it up and running!

Brandon Teers last blog post..Sunday Recap 10.19.2008

22. Matt Stevens says:

Hey everyone! Hope yesterday went well and I’m looking forward to seeing the setlists!

Matt Stevenss last blog post..October 19, 2008

23. steve says:

Used some oldies in our setlist today as well, gave them a little bit of a makeover.

steves last blog post..One chapter ending, another beginning (a.k.a. SHCC Sunday Setlist 10-19-08)

24. Jake Gehret says:

way to rock the bluegrass man.

Jake Gehrets last blog post..Sunday Setlists #13 – Worship Recap

25. Wayne Thomas says:

Nice set, Fred. Posted my setlist on my blog. Have a great day, folks!

Wayne

Wayne Thomass last blog post..Sunday Set List – 10/19/08

Great weekend – included a drama within the message/worship check it out

Lori Biddles last blog post..what I learned today

27. Rob Petrini says:

Good stuff mate…

Rob Petrinis last blog post..Revolutionary Worship… Pt.2 (Heretic)

28. What a great blog. I’m glad I stumbled on it. Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Shawn Stinsons last blog post..Sunday Setlist

29. Great blog Fred! I enjoy reading what other churches are singing as well as sharing what God has been doing in our worship sets.

30. Pingback: One Moment