Sunday Setlist #19 – Worship Service Recaps

The purpose of “Sunday Setlists” is to collaborate with other worshipers worldwide, and to share a recap of our worship experiences.  This blog is the hub, and in the links below you’ll find spokes … links to other blogs all over the world capturing the encounters they had in worship this week.

To participate:

1.  Blog about your worship service.  You don’t have to be the leader, pastor, or Worship Leader.  If you don’t have a blog, you can just share your experiences in the comments below.

2.  In your actual blog entry, mention the “Sunday Setlists” blog and link back to today’s post.  The link you should use is below.  An example?  In your blog, you could say something like “I’m posting my worship recap along with other worship leaders at “Sunday Setlists” over at FredMcKinnon.Com” – and link to:

3.  After sharing your recap (blog entry, worship confessional video, etc)., come back here and fill out the Mister Linky form below.  Note:  for “URL” – be sure to enter the actual URL address to your Sunday Setlist post, not your homepage.  Homepage links will be deleted.  If you aren’t sure what your URL is, go back to your blog, and click on the title of the blog entry, and then copy that URL from your address bar.

4.  Leave a comment below, and then surf over and visit some of the other setlists.

5.  SPREAD THE WORD – try to get others involved, twitter it, facebook it, myspace it, blog it, email it, etc.

Here’s our “Sunday Setlist” recap for St. Simons Community Church, Sunday Nov 30, 2008:
(when possible, song titles are linked to iTunes store)

Walk-In Song:
O Taste and See” by Brian and Jenn Johnson
Comment:  this song has been off rotation for a while.  A number of people just didn’t really care for it – it was a bit too “sing songy” for them, and they didn’t feel like people connected with it.  I’ve really liked this song all along, and thought I’d bring it back during the Walk-In Time.  The band enjoys it, and we song several people singing along.

First Song:
Holy Is The Lord” – Chris Tomlin
Comment:  an old familiar for us.  We had an early rehearsal last week because of the Thanksgiving Holiday, and I was intentional about choosing an easier lineup with familiar material – both for our rehearsal sake, and to have a good, solid Sunday of familiar music.

Second Song:
Amazing Grace/My Chains Are Gone
Comment:  I’d originally planned on doing the Hillsong version of this, which is big, fast, and comes with a full band arrangement.  I had a smaller band today (which always seems to blend nicely) so during rehearsal last week, I changed this up on the spot and opted for the soft, piano-driven version.  It was the right choice.

Interlude:
I continued playing the piano, and took about 3-4 minutes to share a scripture from Jeremiah about how we should trust in God, and not man.  I took some time to lead/pastor the people, encourage them, and verbalize the anxiety and tension that we all see in our economy, political transition, and our lives.  It was a comforting time, the Scripture re-affirmed our trust in God, and I used that to connect on a relational basis with our people, and transitioned directly into the next song.

Third Song:
Blessed Be Your Name” (Matt/Beth Redman)
Comment:  came right ouf of the interlude above, and sang through the Chorus slowly, with only piano.  After singing through the Chorus twice, the drummer clicked it off, and the full band came in at the regular, upbeat tempo.

Sermon:
Final week 6 of 6 of our “Ignite” series, concluding the last of two weeks on Marriage.  Great job, David.

Closing Song:
How He Loves Us” (Kim Walker version)
As I contemplated a closer this week, I met with the Pastor to find out just how his sermon would be closing.  When I heard that he was speaking on the 3 types of “love” I asked him if he might could work out the closing so that we acknowledged that even with the 3 types of “love” we are to give, we must accept God’s love for us.  He did this, and “How He Loves Us” was a perfect closer.

I thought it was a great Sunday, personally.  The guys in our Tech Dept. did a fantastic job, as always.

Your turn!

Sunday Setlists Participants

1. Billy Chia
2. matt macdonald
3. Jon Morris
4. Jim Drake
5. David Lindner
6. Dorothy Holland
7. Jason Petermann
8. Michelle Weger (Collision)
9. Brad Hafner
10. Mike Mahoney
11. Shawn Stinson
12. Janaki
13. Rich Kirkpatrick RKWL
14. Alastair Vance
15. Amanda
16. Johnny Sierra
17. Jan Owen
18. Gary Durbin
19. Eric Frisch
20. Tyler (Man of Depravity)
21. Wayne Thomas
22. Angela Ramsey
23. Ronnie Burgess (MandoRon)
24. jon mark
25. Brandon Teer
26. Steffanie Oltmans
27. Lori Biddle
28. David Goodwin
29. Bobby Gilles
30. Louise Knight
31. Klampert
32. Jeff M. Miller
33. Matt Stevens
34. Russ Hutto
35. Kyle (Our Rising Sound)
36. HL McConnell
37. Ben Abu Saada (Overland Park, KS)
38. Russell Martin
39. bobby (advent conspiracy begins!)
40. Alex McLean
41. Rob Petrini
42. mark roach

Powered by… Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.

73 comments on Sunday Setlist #19 – Worship Service Recaps

1. Billy Chia says:

Fred,
    Way to adjust for the situation. Just curious, what’s a “smaller band” for you?

It’s always cool to hear about Lead Pastors and Worship Pastors working together to plan cohesive worship.

Billy Chias last blog post..Distracted

Hey Billy,
    It wasn’t so small, I guess – I sometimes have 1-2 extra vocalists, and an extra guitarist. Today we had:
    Drums
    Bass
    E-Gtr
    A-Gtr
    Keys/Piano
    4 vocals.

What made it “smaller” was that most of vocals were covered by musicians … I played keys (or piano) and sang, Shannon Lewis played acoustic and sang, Kimbo played Electric and sang .. so Lori was our only vocalist not on an instrument … so we only have 6 people on stage. It was clean and nice!

Good day–but we were down!

I need glasses so that I can see that a Bm chord is not a B major. Big difference!

Jim Drakes last blog post..Go TECH–Beat the Baptists!

4. This was the las weekend in our series too. Weird how that works sometimes.

David Lindners last blog post..Worship Ministry Catalyst Podcast – Episode 19 – Where do Worship Leaders get their fill?

5. I really like “How He Loves Us”. We haven’t done it yet.

dorothy (vicar of vibe)s last blog post..bandaids for bullet holes…

6. Posted! Thanks Fred!

Jason Petermanns last blog post..Worship Confessional: November 30, 2008

Man, everyone jumped in early today!

Your “small” band is our regular band!

Mikes last blog post..Sunday Setlist – November 30

8. Sounds like a great service. I’m not familiar with “How He Loves Us” I’ll have to look into it. I’ve noticed few folks so far have started incorporating Christmas music into their worship? When do you normally begin doing that, or do you? I often find it a challenge to mix in Christmas music. I’m wondering how other people handle it.

Shawn Stinsons last blog post..Sunday Setlist 11-30-08

9. Janaki says:

Your ‘small’ band is BIGGER than our regular band 😀

Janakis last blog post..Sunday Setlist 11/30/08

10. Alastair says:

Exhausted.

Alastairs last blog post..NHC Setlist 29/30 Nov 2008

11. Amanda says:

Great set list, Fred!

Your smaller band is about the size of our usual one, with the exception that we sometimes have two acoustics and maybe a few extra vocalists (or not). 🙂

Amandas last blog post..Sunday Setlists – 11/30/08

Just to let you guys know, my blog isn’t about Gandalf coming over the hill. It is about the Sunday Setlist. My twitter message is what you’re seeing, not my blog topic.

Brad Hafners last blog post..bradhafnersfa: Hmmm…..dilema….Battle at Helm’s deep or Dallas Stars Hockey? HELP!!

13. Amanda says:

Great set list, Fred!

Our group is about the size of your “smaller” band, give or a take a few. 🙂

Amandas last blog post..Sunday Setlists – 11/30/08

14. Amanda says:

Oops, excuse the double post. Thought the first comment didn’t go through.

Amandas last blog post..Sunday Setlists – 11/30/08

15. Jan Owen says:

We started our “Advent Conspiracy” series this morning – come see how we’re committing to do things differently this year….

When is everyone doing their Christmas Sunday this year?

Brad Hafners last blog post..Sunday Set List for November 30th, 2008

Great set, Fred.

Gary Durbins last blog post..Worship Confessional 11.30.08

18. Billy Chia says:

Jana,
    I was thinking the same thing!

Billy Chias last blog post..Distracted

We got off to a rough start this morning, but it all worked out in the end!

Eric Frischs last blog post..11/30/08 Set List

20. Wayne Thoams says:

Great set, Fred! Great day for us too!

Wayne

Wayne Thoamss last blog post..Sunday Set List – 11/30/08

21. Wayne Thomas says:

Ok, I figured out how to spell my own name this time! 🙂

Wayne Thomass last blog post..Sunday Set List – 11/30/08

22. Thanks again Fred. I’ll have to check out “O Taste and See”.

Have a great week!

Ronnie (MandoRon)s last blog post..Sunday Setlist … November 30, 2008

23. dawn says:

Hey Fred, was at Newspring today and they played Hillsongs version of Holy Holy Lord God Almighty and I dont know who’s version of this song, Savior King, but I loved it!!!

24. Brandon Teer says:

Got it up!!!
    Can’t get enough “How He Loves”!!
    Have a great week!

Brandon Teers last blog post..Sunday Recap 11.30.2008

25. Steff says:

I love the song “How He loves” I really want to add this song into our mix but I’m a little unsure as to how people will take to the sloppy wet kiss part. What has been your experience with this? Do people seem to get it?

Steffs last blog post..Sunday Set-List ~ November 30, 2008

God was good, we had a great weekend! Check out our setlist!

Lori Biddles last blog post..weekend report

27. Steff, I agree with you about the sloppy wet kiss. That has also come up in conversation when talking about “How He Loves Us”.

Yeah, I’m not familiar with “O Taste and See” either; I’ll check it out.

Bobby Gilless last blog post..Benediction and Sending Scripture Readings For Advent Season

29. Ronnie and Steff –
    We modified that verse. I changed the first line from “We are His portion” to “He is our portion”. Also, on the “sloppy wet kiss” line … we’ve done it both ways. We ultimately thought it was not connecting, so we changed it to “when heaven meets earth where no words can express”.

The older generation loves that change. The youth and younger generation loves the “sloppy wet kiss” line.

I saw benefit either way.

Some of the biggest, “macho” men in our church are blown away by that song, and it really breaks them. They’ve come to me and told me so!

For the Kingdom,
    Fred McKinnon

Fred F. McKinnons last blog post..Sunday Setlist #19 – Worship Service Recaps

30. Steff says:

Thanks Fred! Great idea on the lyric change. I think we’ll try that.

Steffs last blog post..Sunday Set-List ~ November 30, 2008

31. It was a double whammy for me – led morning and evening. Morning service was a family service, so messy and crazy worship. Evening service is church unplugged, so a little alternative and we did a long straight worship session with no chatter.

Fred – I prefer the upbeat Amazing Grace with the big-heart “My chains are gone” but I’d like to try the gentler one soon. Great idea to go with the quieter version with a smaller, well-blended team.

Louise Knights last blog post..Sunday School Prizegiving service – AM

32. Late again, but this time with video goodness of my kids singing!

Happy December peeps!

Jeff M. Millers last blog post..Home from Thanksgiving Travel

33. Peter Park says:

I love the song “Blessed be your name.” It reminds me around the time that my wife’s grandfather passed away and we found out we were pregnant.

Okay I’m back in the swing of things!

This week was kind of a “down” week, attendance-wise, and maybe even energy-wise, but nonetheless a good week!

Russs last blog post..Sunday Setlist [11.30.08]

I think there was a small carbon monoxide leak in the building causing people to appear to be awake but in reality asleep. Sermon was great though, worship set…umm rough.

Kyles last blog post..I’m most thankful for…

36. Ben says:

Late but up nonetheless!

37. Hey thanks for this opportunity. My list is up now..

Russell Martins last blog post..Sunday Setlist- 11/30/08

38. HL says:

Well thought out set Fred. I like your choices. By the way I really like “O Taste and See” we are doing it this coming sunday. My wife leads it. Sing songy washy washy. Whatever 🙂

HLs last blog post..Songs We Sing @ Vine 11-30-08

39. alex mclean says:

fred, you’re the best!

alex mcleans last blog post..Sunday Setlist

40. Rob Petrini says:

Hi all, we’re still struggling with our sound system… we have the budget to do an overhaul, but I’d really love some feedback about what equipment to buy… we’re a medium church (about 250)… high ceiling building (sort of circular)… we have our speakers high up in a cluster formation (but only 2 of them)… they are old and not doing well. Our board died and so now we’re reduced to a 16 channel (we really need a 32 channel)…. help!!!

Rob Petrinis last blog post..Sunday Setlist Nov. 23

Hey Rob,
    I’d say go over and post in the forums at http://www.theworshipcommunity.com/forums .. you’d get plenty of help there on that, from some great folks!

42. mark roach says:

here’s my comment! Happy December, everybody!

mark roachs last blog post..worship confessional (11.30.08)