sunday_setlist_red21

Welcome to the 35th consecutive week of “Sunday Setlists” – where we share our worship confessionals and worship service recaps.  The rules are pretty simple:

1:  blog about your worship service that you attended (or led) this week.  (it does not have to be on a Sunday)
2:  in your blog, mention that you are participating in Sunday Setlists, and link back to this entry on my blog:
3:  leave the URL link to YOUR Sunday Setlists post in the Mr. Linky below
4:  comment, and visit the other sites.  Share yours on twitter, using the #sundaysetlists hashtag

Sunday Setlists, March 22, 2009
St. Simons Community Church

Great today @SSCC – we are in Week 4 of our series on Job entitled “When It Hurts”.  Today’s message was about Job’s lament, and our need to be willing to lament and wrestle with God.  It was a powerful service.  For the second week in a row, the sermon was delivered by one of our members, Billy Barrow.  Pastor David Yarborough was taking a couple of Sundays off during this series.  He was there  – he slipped back into the Middle School service and from what I read on a “tweet” by @chrismoncus, he led some kids to the Lord back there this AM.  Woo Hoo!

I was joined in leadership today by the founding Worship Leader for SSCC, Mrs. Harriet Jones.  She played acoustic and sang – it’s always a privilege to share the platform with her.

Our walk-in song was “Your Grace is Enough” (G).  We did that last week, but the message in that song is strong for this series, and the guest speaker requested that we sing it again.

Our opening song at the top of the hour (9:00 and 11:00 services) was “Everlasting God” (A), one of our church favorites.

The second set of worship (after announcements) included:
Blessed Be Your Name (Redman) -(G)
You Are So Good To Me – (D)
Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) – (E)

I brought Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone) down to the Key of E – much more comfortable for my lower range, and much more singable for the congregation.  I never liked the higher key because you drop DOWN to sing the Chorus, which makes no sense to me.  Doing the song in (E) allows you to “rise” into the Chorus, instead of “dropping down”.  As always, I like to challenge worship leaders to consider where the highs and lows of the melody are in a song and adjust to fit the “norm” for congregational singing.

After this segment we went straight into our testimony video.  This one is a little longer, but really hits home – as it’s from a dear friend of ours, Todd Hendrix.  Todd is a friend, a neighbor, and has sung on the worship team at SSCC forever.  Plus, he was one of my vocalists on the “Worship Under the Stars” CD/DVD, and was featured singing “You Raise Me Up” on that concert – still a very popular arrangement on iTunes.  Here’s the video:

At the closing of the sermon, Billy (the guest speaker, and brother-in-law of Todd, the guy in the video) read a stirring lament that he’d written to God about Todd.  It was powerful. Then he encouaged us to lament, to wrestle with God, and he opened up the altars.  As a special during this time of ministry, we performed the lament of Psalm 13, as recorded by Brian Doerksen on the “You Shine” album.  Take a listen below – it was strong.  Imagine, lights all the way down, and the altars filling up with people – many whom we could hear wailing, crying, lamenting, and wrestling with God.
[audio:http://www.fredmckinnon.com/media/psalm13.mp3]

After this time of ministry, we transitioned into a slow Chorus of “Your Grace is Enough” as a reprise, closing out the service.

I think it was powerful, and had a blast leading this week. For any local SSCC folks, I’d love to get your take on how the service went today as well.

OK – It’s Your Turn – Fill out the Mister Linky below.  VERY IMPORTANT – be sure that when you enter your URL, it’s the FULL URL to your actual blog post – not your blog’s homepage.  Every week I probably delete more than 10-20 links for not following this simple rule.  It’s important because people don’t want to have to wade through your homepage to find this post – so if you aren’t sure how to do this, be sure that after you publish your blog post, click on the title of that entry, and copy that URL.  Thanks!

80 comments on Sunday Setlists #35 – Worship Confessionals and Recaps

1. There’s a “first” for everything, Fred! 😉

1. Rich, what do you mean?

1. oh…first comment 😉 usually, I post by Tuesday so I am 25 or higher

Fred, is that the Darrell Evans, So Good To Me? It’s been a while since I’ve even thought about that song. Good set and cool video.

1. Brad,
      It’s the “You are beautiful, my sweet, sweet song” .. see Shannon’s comment below, Waterdeep/100 Portraits, Enter the Worship Circle, and my personal favorite cover, ‘Third Day”.

3. woot woot i’m number 5 that’s amazing.

4. shannon says:

“You are so Good to Me” by Waterdeep/100 Portraits… great old song!

5. A great morning @westhillchurch. I actually had 2 hymns as part of the morning … got a feeling that some may be in shock! 🙂

Great song selections Fred. All songs that minister in a great way to our congregation as well. We haven’t done “You Are So Good To Me”. I’ll have to check it out this week. Thanks again for your “I Repent Post”.

Be Blessed,

1. Randy,
      You are so welcome – thanks for letting me know that “I Repent” post connected with you. It’s so true. Thanks for the twitter help today, too – no box, just had to click around until I found it!

I love my job so much!! God trusts me to create services for his children…unbelievable! Great weekend! Looks like the rest of you had amazing services also! Way to go!

7. Chris J says:

1. I Will Not Be Shaken – Jonathan Lee
    2. Better Than Life – v. Travis Cottrell
    3. I Have To Believe – Rita Springer
    4. May the Word os My Mouth – Tim Hughes
    5. I Will Boast – Paul Baloche

Sounds like you had a great morning! I always do “My Chains Our Gone” in E… it’s just more comfortable in that key.

We had a good morning, too. Just posted it!

9. Isn’t God so amazing that He allows us to serve Him…

10. Dean Lusk says:

Posted, and thanks for the forum on this!

Man, very good (dare I say “accessible”?) set, Fred.

E is the key we do “Amazing Grace/My Chains…” in. There are a couple of other songs like that, I’ve noticed. “You Are Good” can be funky like that if you don’t do it in the right key.

11. HL McConnell says:

I like your set Fred. Good stuff. I like the Amazing Grace in E. I’m going to try that.

Has anyone ever tried to do a full service of just U2 songs? We’ve been working on “40” and did “Where the Streets Have No Name” a few years back. Just want to know if you did, what songs and in what order. Thanks

I really led this week–honestly! It was a good day!

14. Mark A. says:

I don’t have a website/blog, but here is my setlist from this weekend:

Opening:
    Your Grace Is Enought (A)
    Hungry (C)

Offering:
    Here I Am To Worship (E)

Distribution
    How Deep The Father’s Love For Us (E)
    Come Thou Fount (C)

Closing
    Amazing Grace/Chains (F)

The sermon message was “Objects of the Passion: Dice and garments”.

15. Fred, the Psalm 13 lament is incredible. Absolutely incredible.

Thanks so much for sharing.

16. Janaki says:

Um… I do Amazing Grace/Chains in C or Db .. 🙂

18. Ok..tried my first attempt at a video this time…

20. Pingback: olderbutnotup
  21. Steff says:

Fred,
    Thanks for hosting this madness every week! I look forward to it each week.

Job’s lament — powerful stuff. Yeah, I like “Your Grace Is Enough” for that kind of sermon/series.

Glad to be a part.

24. Happy sound system install day everybody!

25. Jen Kerr says:

Love the waterdeep tune too!
    That’s one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar!
    Thanks again for starting this community!
    Jen

26. Paul J. says:

What up, Fred?

Paul Joseph
    twitter.com/PAJoseph

Enjoyed breaking down a few songs acoustically we usually do fully electrified with loops. Trying not to lose focus on the next few weeks while working on Easter service…easier said than done.

28. Paul Mugarura says:

I understand why I was deleted the first time, but do not understand why I was deleted the second time… oh well. Perhaps the third time’s the charm. eh?

Thanks for this forum in which we can share our experiences from Sunday. I enjoy reading through everybody’s information.

1. Paul, don’t remember the first one, but your link is fine, so no problems!

29. Chuck Harris says:

thanks Fred for keeping us all connected. love the setlists so i can see what others are doing.

30. I’m trying t be last this week 😉

32. Brandon Teer says:

Glad to be apart of the craziness another week!!!!

33. Bill Horn says:

Once again, I’m dead last!!!! I need to try to get to it on Sunday or Monday or something….Geez!

34. MIcah Petrea says:

I Shall now take the LAST crown

35. Looks like a great list. I love “My Chains Are Gone”. We did it too.

36. Tracie says:

If it is even possible to wear out a song online then I would have done it. I come here everyday to listen to the Psalm 13 song, and usually listen to it up to 10 times. Wow.

37. Hey, better late than NEVER right!!!!??